Thursday, January 30, 2014

12 Lessons Learned

Today is my last day with an eleven month old...so sad but so exciting.   I'm sad that the newborn stage is over but excited to see my baby start walking and exploring more.  I'm sad that she won't lay still long enough to snuggle much but excited to hear her talking and expressing herself.  I'm sad that she is becoming more independent but excited to see her start school.  I'm sad that she no longer needs her mom to hold her bottle or cup but excited to see her come to know the Lord.  In all reality we have too many blessings to come to be sad and mourning!  The Lord has sure blessed this family!  But you better believe there are gonna be extra snuggles and rocking time tonight!

Today I thought I'd share 12 things that I've learned this past year....


1.  You can't spoil a newborn, enjoy the snuggling!  I was a little paranoid on this one.  

2.  Having a schedule makes for a happy momma and happy baby.  Everyone will thrive on maintaining a schedule. 


3.  Having a baby = lots of new friends.  Honestly, friends come out of the wood works to adore a baby.  And I'm ok with that.

4.  You will fall in love with your husband all over again.  There is nothing more precious than seeing your man love on your baby.  At first it was cuddling the newborn, now it's crazy loud rough-housing together.  And although the noise can be nerve racking...it's still precious.

5.  Nursing is hard and pumping is yuck! Just being honest here.  I love the experience and would do it all over again in a heart beat but it is still hard and still yuck!


6.  Training is hard work!  It's constant.  And then there is the worrying over what she understands, and doesn't understand.  And to be honest once again, it's very unrewarding right now. 

7.  You can multitask more than you ever thought was possible.  Baby in one hand, make a bottle with the other?  No problem!  Change a diaper with one hand, cook supper with the other?...just kidding :)  Teaching taught me to be a multi-tasker...motherhood made me bump it up a notch.
 

8.   Love on moms with new babies or young children.  This can be such a blessing!  I've tried to take meals to new moms several times in the past but I'm determined to do more of that now that I've been on the receiving end.  

9.  Don't get caught up in the Comparison game.  Every baby is different.  It's so easy to get caught up wanting your baby to the best and smartest.  It really doesn't matter who says "momma" first.  Although, Kendall Paige, it's about time!  
 

10.  Keep a well stocked diaper bag.   It's really the pits to have a blow out at Wal-mart and not have extra clothes.  I tend to over pack but there have been times I've been without some necessities.

11.  Every milestone is the best and will melt your heart.  Each new thing from rolling over to waving bye bye will turn you to ushy goshy baby moo.  There's nothing like it.  You will be constantly waiting the next great accomplishment!

12.  You can't understand the love of a parent until you become one.   It is the biggest blessing.  It makes you appreciate God's love toward you more. 


 

3 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

So very sweet. I'm glad someone else thinks it's great dad plays with the kids but thinks the noise level will drive you insane! LOL

Dana said...

So very hard to believe that she is one year old now. She is so sweet and you & Michael are great parents!

Tori Leslie said...

What a very sweet post. She's lovely.