Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snowflake Coasters (Cricut Project No. 2)

       Recently I added a section in the side bar of my blog called my someday list.  It's crafts or projects that I'd like to do "someday".  Here is the first completed project!  The idea came from Just a Girl.  She made her coasters for a teacher gift.  
     My needed materials:
  • My Cricut
  • Winter Lace Cartilage (I got really cheap off of ebay)
  • Red Felt
  • White tiles from Lowes
  • Vinyl (I wanted red but settled for this slightly darker color)
  • Transfer Paper (a small 6 inch square lasted for the whole project
  • Hot Glue Gun

First I traced the tiles onto red felt and cut them out.





Next I hot glued the felt onto the back of the tiles.  Just a girl used cork instead of felt.  


 
Next I used the winter lace cartilage and  my cricut to cut out 8 different snowflake patterns.





Finally using the transfer paper I placed the images onto the tiles.









That's it...project complete.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! My mom has a cricut, I just might have to borrow it. Great project thanks for the idea!

Teresa said...

Beautiful job, Steph! I want one, I want one!! I can imagine so many projects with a Cricut!

Karen Crabtree said...

Stephanie,
You are so talented!!!
The coasters are so pretty!!
love,
Karen

Aunt Misty said...

You're so creative, Steph! When can I place my order for coasters? lol

Love,
Misty

Scott and Kristan said...

Aw...so cute! Joy got a cricut for Christmas this past year and she couldn't wait to get started on projects. You guys are so talented and creative...me, not so much I'm just good at cleaning up messes :) ~ Kristan

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, can you tell me more about the transfer paper? How do you use it? I really love your coasters and would like to do some as presents this year. Sally

Stephanie said...

It's really just like glorified tape. :) I buy mine at Hobby Lobby, it's with the vinyl. I've heard of people using contact paper, although I haven't tried that they seem to be very similar. I don't use the transfer paper a lot, but had to on these since the snowflakes were delicate with lots of complicated little parts. I could have never stuck them on without messing up some of the branches, if that makes sense. I also have used it when putting bible verses on the wall because I want the letters straight. The backing on the transfer paper has grid lines to help line everything up. On the snowflakes, it seems like, after I cut them I left them on the cricut mat and laid the sticky side of the transfer paper on top of them. When I pulled the transfer paper up, the snowflake came up with it. Then I was able to press it on the tile, and the snowflake stuck.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you used the transfer paper? Did you cut them out in squares and placed them on the tile? or did you cover the vinyl before cutting the shape? I have contact paper, lots of tiles and was thinking of making personalized tiles for my family...this looks real easy, just need to know how you placed the transfer paper. thanks!

Stephanie said...

On the snowflakes, it seems like, after I cut them, I left them on the cricut mat and laid the sticky side of the transfer paper on top of them. When I pulled the transfer paper up, the snowflake came up with it. Then I was able to press it on the tile, and the snowflake stuck to the tile. Then I carefully pulled off the transfer paper.