I am really excited that Babbling Abby is hosting Teacher Week on her blog. Because yesterday was my first day back with kids, I missed posting due to sheer exhaustion! (Only a teacher could understand!) So I'm posting a day late and hope to catch up on Today's theme too. Yesterday's theme was an open house letting others know about you as a teacher. This will probably boring for some so I won't be hurt if you choose not to stick around!
10 Things about Me as a Teacher
1. This is my sixth year teaching. Hard to believe but true. I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing....but often that changes on a day to day basis.
2. I have been at the same school all six years. I really like my school. I don't live super close so I don't see a lot of my kids out and about during "normal" life. I feel like I have good relationships with parents. And I love my colleagues. I teach with some amazing people. They are people that will be forever friends no matter where we end up.
3. After teaching one year I started taking evening classes and got my Master's Degree. My masters degree is in Administration...I have NO DESIRE to work in administration! I think about getting my EDS a lot. Who knows...maybe one day.
4. My school is over 50% low income. There are always kids that break my heart. I fall in love with them every year and try to shower them in a little extra love. It always helps to try and look at them as God sees them. Several I want to bring home with me!
5. I am teaching second grade. Out of my six years this is the first year that I'm getting to teach the same grade as the year before. I have only taught Kindergarten and Second....I've went back and forth. I love love Second Grade. It's a great year.
6. A few summers ago I went back to school (for a week), took a test, and added a pre-k endorsement to my license. I'm still not sure why. I have no desire to go that low.
7. I LOVE my job. I spend way too much time on it! Sure last Thursday (the first official day back) I was sick to my stomach...and days I want to change professions...I'm always brought back to the realization that teaching is good.
8. Being a teacher has changed the way that I will parent one day!
9. I don't believe that learning best takes place sitting at a desk doing worksheets. It has it's place but if I'm able to make it hands on, that's the route I take. The kids absorb so much more.
10. I love reading to kids and teaching reading. It's a magical time. So rewarding!
That's it for now. Hopefully I'll be back later to post my favorite things!